Remember how my fiancé wanted to reenact a Bruno Mars skit for our proposal?
You can see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYh9DCN8ads&app=desktop
So on our engagement party tour to visit friends and family that might not travel to our wedding, I decided to surprise him.
Our engagement happy hour was going to be at a local Irish pub. I contacted the manager and begged to have 4 minutes to do the skit. He said I had to show him exactly what I wanted to do the following weekend.
The countdown started! I had 14 days to pull off my first skit. I needed audiovisual help, actors, props, and time.
Luckily I found a bunch of friends that were willing to help.
The Saturday before the happy hour, six friends came to the pub to practice and help me win over the manager. Everyone was so excited and immediately started making my vision better and more alive.
The manager recommended that we do the skit upstairs because there would be more space. One friend recommended that we use the long aisle behind the bar as the street for the performance. We would have Matt sit at the end of aisle like the girl in the video. We practiced for about three hours. I was overwhelmed with their generosity.
I even hired a videographer to capture the fun!
Here’s how the skit went:
- Betty pretended to bang a pot with a wooden spoon walking down the aisle.
- Sara and John (Couple #1) walked towards Matt with arms locked. They spun with their foreheads together on “is it this looking in her eyes?”
- On “or is it this dancing dude?” Seth danced across the front of the stage, while lifting his hat on and off.
- Then Couple #1 pointed at my fiancé and shrugged.
- John and Mary (Couple #2) walked towards my fiancé holding hands. Mary was swinging her other arm. On the word “boulevard” John gave Mary flowers from behind his back. John said “come on” and they went to the side.
- Tom and Sara (Couple #3) walked down the aisle. Tom pulled out his pocket and threw cash in the air. Tom and Sara spun with their arms in the air. Tom pretended to open a liquor bottle for shots. They high-fived and went to the side.
- Dancing girls ran through the aisle jumping and clapping and shaking bells. Everyone else started snapping. Couple #1 returned to the front of the aisle and everyone else was behind them (except the dancing guys).
- Everyone waved their hands up on “Say yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.” Everyone made arm circles on “We’ll go go go go.”
- Everyone pointed at my fiancé on “if you’re ready.” Everyone pointed at themselves on “like i’m ready.”
- Everyone pointed down on “cause it’s a beautiful day.” Then everyone started to raise their arms and spin around all at once. Then everyone pretended to look around.
- Everyone pointed at my fiancé on “hey baby” and knelt down on “i think i want to marry you.”
- Everyone’s arms were straight out on “Is it that look in your eyes?”
- Dancing guys came across the aisle.
- Everyone shrugged on “who cares baby.”
- Bob and Veronica (Couple #4) went into the aisle. Veronica had her hands behind her back. Bob was begging her. Bob pulled out a lollipop ring on “so what you want to do”. Veronica took the ring. They hugged and ran out of the aisle.
- Katie and Rebecca (Couple #5) went into the aisle. Rebecca was mad with her crossed arms. Katie was begging. Rebecca put her hand in Katie’s face on “No I won’t blame you.” Katie slapped Rebecca’s hand and kissed Rebecca’s cheek. They left the aisle.
- Couple #1 returned to the front of the aisle and everyone was behind them.
- Everyone shook their finger on “No no no” then did big arm swings on “Yeah Yeah Yeah.” Everyone pointed at my fiancé on “if you’re ready” and then pointed at themselves “like I’m ready.” Everyone slowly raised their arms and spun. Everyone looked around. Everyone pointed at Matt “hey baby” and knelt on “i think I want to marry you.”
- Everyone had their arms straight out on “Is it that look in your eyes.”
- Dancing dudes came across the aisle playing with hats on “or is it this dancing dude.”
- Everyone put their arms around each other’s shoulders and swayed…on “just say I do” they started swaying their arms in the air.
- Veronica and Martha went to the midpoint in the aisle and unrolled a “Will you marry me” banner.
- I hid on a stool behind the banner.
- Everyone started shaking their fingers in the air on “it’s a beautiful night.”
- Everyone parted to see the banner.
- The banner was lowered to reveal me, wearing a veil.
- The banner rolled away.
- Rebecca held up a sign that said “She said yes.”
- Betty walked my fiancé up to me.
He knew his part. He knew what skit it was as soon as he saw the pot. It was amazing! He said it was the best surprise ever.
I was so happy and thankful.